Health care providers are advocating for the City of Toronto to provide adequate shelter space to keep people out of the cold and prevent unnecessary illness and deaths this winter.
HPAP’s Letter to Toronto City Councillors, by Drs. Michaela Beder and Michael Benusic, is listed on the Jan 18, 2016 Budget Committee meeting agenda.
Show your support for increased funding for shelters and warming centres in Toronto’s 2016 budget by signing this Petition to Mayor John Tory.
Civic leaders including HPAP Founder, Dr. Gary Bloch, joined in signing a letter to the Toronto Mayor and Council urging them to act on recommendations to advance the City’s Poverty Reduction Strategy.
The goal is to achieve concrete outcomes in 2016, including:
- Providing supportive housing for 1,000 individuals and families and making rent affordable for 7,000 households at risk of homelessness
- Providing access to subsidized childcare for 1,500 families
- Freezing adult fares until a low-income transit pass is introduced in 2017
- Ensuring that people delivering city services, either directly or through contractors, have decent, stable jobs
- Creating opportunity for people with lived experience to guide and work in city programs to ensure relevance and effectiveness
See the news release and Toronto Start article for more information.