Civic leaders including HPAP Founder, Dr. Gary Bloch, joined in signing a letter to the Toronto Mayor and Council urging them to act on recommendations to advance the City’s Poverty Reduction Strategy.
The goal is to achieve concrete outcomes in 2016, including:
- Providing supportive housing for 1,000 individuals and families and making rent affordable for 7,000 households at risk of homelessness
- Providing access to subsidized childcare for 1,500 families
- Freezing adult fares until a low-income transit pass is introduced in 2017
- Ensuring that people delivering city services, either directly or through contractors, have decent, stable jobs
- Creating opportunity for people with lived experience to guide and work in city programs to ensure relevance and effectiveness